Like what you see? Then why not learn to fly a glider for yourself!
Bathurst Soaring Club holds regular training courses for beginners and novice glider pilots.
What does the course cover?
These courses are typically held four times per year and run for 7 days, Saturday to Friday. A welcome dinner is usually held on the Saturday night so that new students can meet Bathurst Soaring Club members and socialise with other students in a relaxed, informal environment.
Included in the Bathurst Soaring Club beginner training course is:
- Tuition (maximum 3 students per instructor – Monday to Friday)
- All course materials, log books, the “Basic Gliding Knowledge” textbook, lectures
- Glider hire
- 20x tug plane launches (weather dependent)
- Bunk House accommodation and use of Club facilities (Kitchen, BBQ, TV, Wifi, etc)
- Personalised Certificate of Completion
- Three months’ membership with Bathurst Soaring Club and the Gliding Federation of Australia (Juniors receive 12 months’ membership) – to practice your new flying skills!
What will you learn?
The focus of the beginners’ training course is, obviously, on learning to fly a glider! This involves both theoretical and practical components needed to help you take flight.
In addition to completing tuition and instructional flights, students will also learn other flight, operational and glider maintenance essentials, including:
- safety procedures
- general on-field glider handling
- wing running
- tug signalling
- completing flight sheets
- rigging and de-rigging gliders
- driving the on-site retrieve vehicle
- how to correctly wash, stow and hangar gliders
- completing a glider’s Maintenance Release documentation
How much is the course?
Prices for the beginners training course are:
- Non-Members (over 25): $2,100
- Non Members Juniors (ages 25 and under): $1,500
- Members (over age 25): First course $1,700, subsequent course: $1,650
Sounds great! How do I register?
Keen to learn to fly a glider? Then register your interest and find out the next available course dates by completing the contact form below: